The history of the GaYBOR Coalition began in 2007 when several Ybor City business owners united together to support & advocate within the local LGBTA community. GaYBOR has since been recognized as an economic engine by local Hillsborough county commissioners and deemed a gay friendly tourist destination by national publications.
In early 2009, then-Tampa Mayor Pam Iorio said the GaYBOR District Coalition had put Ybor City on the map as a “gay travel destination and that it (Ybor City) serves as a safe, tolerant, welcoming focal point for the gay community, both regionally and statewide“. Another milestone occurred In 2009, when The GaYBOR District Coalition was invited to participate in the Krewe of Sant’Yago Illuminated Knight Parade, held annually in Ybor City.
In early 2013, the Hillsborough County Commission acknowledged that The GaYBOR District Coalition was “a strong economic engine in our (Tampa Bay) community“.
The History of the GaYBOR Coalition in the Media
- GaYbor District Sets Roots as LGBT Destination in Tampa
- This year’s GaYBOR Days Touted as Success
- Please Play Me’ say 10 pianos in Ybor City, 2009
- GaYBOR Days Gets City’s Recognition, 2009
- History Making in the Famous Knight Parade, 2009
- GaYBOR stayed Gay during Super Bowl Week 2009
- Beginning of Gay Days, 2008
- Out Traveler Magazine: 3 Gay Days Tampa
- NewNowNext/Logo TV
- Pianos in Ybor Caused National Buzz