History of Ybor City, Tampa National Historic Landmark District
Ybor City is located northeast of downtown and is Tampa’s only National Historic Landmark District. Ybor City has enjoyed a rich and diverse culture for more than a century.
Ybor City was founded in the late 1880’s by cigar manufacturer Vicente Martinez-Ybor. Ybor City in the 1880s was a melting pot of immigrants from Spain, Cuba, Germany and Italy and home to some of the world’s most famous cigar factories.
For decades, Spanish, Italian, Cuban, German and Jewish immigrants made their living by working in the cigar factories that were the main economic source for the city. Post World War II, Ybor City’s population dropped sharply due to the downturn of the cigar industry, and was desolate until the 1980s, when an influx of artists established their residence.
Since then, factory warehouses have been converted into business lofts, restaurants, shops and more. Ybor City has grown to be known as Tampa’s Latin Quarter, offering an ample menu of arts and culture, and is known for its popular speciality shops, restaurants, nightclubs and entertainment.
Today, several structures in the historic district are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Evoking the history of Ybor City, the classic brick streets and historic facades blend into a distinct sense of culture that enlivens the environment while preserving a rich history of diversity, community and industry. In 2008, 7th Avenue, the main commercial thoroughfare in Ybor City, was recognized as one of the “10 Great Streets in America” by the American Planning Association.
For more information about the history and historical attractions of Ybor City:
- Ybor City Chamber of Commerce – www.Ybor.org – 1800 E 9th Ave, Ybor City, FL 33605 – (813) 248-3712
- Ybor City Development Corporation (YCDC) – www.YborCItyOnline.com – 2015 E 7th Ave, Ybor City, FL 33605 – (813) 274-7936 – A division of the city of Tampa’s Economic & Urban Development Department
- Ybor City Museum State Park – www.YborMuseum.org – 1818 E 9th Ave, Ybor City, FL 33605 – (813) 247-6323
- Ybor City Visitor Information Center – www.Ybor.org – 1600 E 8th Ave, Ybor City, FL 33605 – (813) 241-8838 – info@Ybor.org
- Visit Tampa Bay – www.VisitTampaBay.com – 401 East Jackson Street, Suite 2100, Tampa, FL 33602 -(813) 223-1111 Info@VisitTampaBay.com